Re: Ultimate fresh live food

Hi all,

I have often wondered what the "Best Food" would be, and think I may
have stumbled on an answer.

When I moved last month, I set up my largest tank (55G) right next to
the computer in my home office. After some false starts with substrate
problems, I introduced a breeding group (8) of *Maelanotaenia praecox*,
aka "Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish." The eight fish settled in and started
leaving lots of eggs, which I collected for a while.

A week or so ago, I bought a half-dozen young Rams, and added them in
with the bigger, but basically peaceful, rainbows. [One may not have
made it, for I count only five, now. Big tank, heavily planted. Could be
lurking.]

Yesterday I stopped by the store, and was startled by how small the same
group of Rams looked.

Watching the rainbows spawning this AM, as they usually do at the
timer-controlled "dawn," I saw some vigorous "plant-pecking" by the
Rams.

I believe the black-worms, daphnia, mosquito larvae and dry flakes they
have all been eating is incidental to their noticeable growth in only 10
days or so.

These guys are getting fresh California eggs for breakfast every day!

Thought you might be amused by this "radical" sort of live food.

Wright

--
Wright Huntley Fremont CA, USA, 510 494-8679 huntley at ix_netcom.com
“Live free or die.”