BBS longevity

One alternative you may want to think about (for the future) is to
culture vinegar eels. They survive OK in freshwater, where they just
can't reproduce (according to an article from FAMA). I feed them (before
I go to work, when the tank is still in the dark) to dwarf cichlid fry
for the first week or so (in addition to artificial fry food), and then
they could probably be switched to frozen BBS with no problems.

I collect vinegar eels using a very fine (70 micrometers) nylon mesh I
ordered from Carolina Biological Supply (P7-65-2222N). You need to mount
it on a holding ring. The filtered vinegar goes back into the bottle, of
course.

Dionigi