Re: Live Foods Digest V1 #21

<< Subject: Re: yeast guk - food?

 The guk might be useful, but the solution contains lots
 of alcohol, which can be dreadful for brine shrimp or daphnia. If you still
 want to use it, I suggest you dry it first, to get rid of the alcohol. Or,
 you may want to boil it in an open container, for the same purposes.

 - - Vahe

 >Date: Sun, 31 Aug 1997 19:43:42 -0400 (EDT)
 >From: BErney1014 at aol_com
 >Subject: yeast guk - food?
 >
 >Would the guk at the bottom of my yeast co2 mix be food for any cultures?
I'm
 >wondering if brine shrimp might eat it. It seems such a waste to toss it
 >every month.
 >Bruce

I agree 10-14% ethanol would probably dissolve the cellular membranes of your
brine shrimp.  Boiling would drive off the ethanol.  You could probably get
away with putting it (the yeast) on a compost heap because it is very high in
nitrogen (probably another reason you wouldn't want to use it as food for
BS).

You do not need to be a Rocket Scientist, Biologist, or Chemist to have the
enjoyment of successfully feeding your fish with live food.
http://members.aol.com:/larval1/index.htm