Re: Wingless Fruit Flies

> Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 20:39:00 -0500
> From: Augustine Rodriguez <rodrigaj at uwec_edu>
>
> I have been raising wingless fruit flies for about 2 years with excellent
> results.  When I started out, I had read that the wingless genetic trait
> was regressive and that eventually, the fully formed wings would begin to
> show up in offspring. This has not happened and I was wondering if any
> readers/subscribers have actually had this happen to them.

There are a number of different flightless mutants.  Some are temperature
sensitive and grow normal wings at higher temperatures.  It's quite possible
(though very infrequent) for a mutation to mutate back to the normal form.
The most common cause for 'reversion' is that a normal fly gets into the
culture.  One that can fly has a tremendous selective advantage over a
flightless individual, and since most of the flightless mutations are
recessive, all of its offspring will be capable of flying.  In a generation
or two, they will take over the culture.

What are you using for medium?  I've been making my own, and have problems
with mold contamination that gets into the bottles when I add the flies.
I haven't been able to find any of the food preservatives recommended and
have been experimenting with lemon juice.  Does anyone have a good recipe
for medium, or suggestions on mold inhibitors?

Beverly Erlebacher
Toronto, Ontario Canada