Re: Live Foods Digest V1 #8

On 08/19/97 at 03:58 p, Owner-Live-Foods at actwin_com (Live Foods
Digest) said:

> I had read that the wingless genetic trait
>was regressive and that eventually, the fully formed wings would
>begin to show up in offspring.

Not quite right.  As I remember from 32 years ago, the trait has a
high rate of back mutation and the wild type is a better (more
effective) competitor.  So if you maintain a very large population
for a long time, it will likely become dominated by normal
individuals after a while.  But for us with small populations, it is
easy to select artificially against any winged flies that arise, and
for us, it is hard to tell a back mutation from a contaminant.

--

Dave Gomberg, FormMaestro!                     http://www.wcf.com
 gomberg at wcf_com