Re: [Live-foods] fruit flies

Dave writes:

Long  ago, about 15BC (Before (personal) Computers), I gave away
wingless  starters and culture directions.  Here is what I recall of
the  process:

Medium:  Boil cornmeal, oatmeal in water , let cool, add  agar to
stiffen (optional), when body temp add  propionic acid (mold
inhibitor, stir well), orange juice (optional), then baker's yeast
and  a multivitamin tablet (pre-ground up).
Thanks for your detailed instructions.  Unfortunately, I am so used to  the
convenience of the commercial culture medium, I don't want to get involved  in
cooking up medium when I need it.  It is so much more convenient just to  pour
out the commercial stuff, add water and voila!  I was hoping to find a
recipe for something like the commercial stuff, so I could store it dry and just
mix it when I needed it.  I'm lazy, so I guess I'll just have  to continue
buying the premixed stuff.
Carol   < ' )))><