Re: blackworms

They are raised in quantity, around here, as well as living wild in our
local rivers. See http://aquaticfoods.com/worms.html for some interesting
commentary and links.

Home rearing has not been practical for most folks, because it needs a
huge flow of fresh cold water to do it well. Tubifex can tolerate more
pollution, so can be raised in 10G tanks with sand substrate, heavy
aeration and frequent water changes.

I used to buy a pound at a time, divided them between two of the blue worm
keepers and kept them in the refrigerator. By using from them alternate
days, and changing the water when I did, I could keep them healthy and
lively for a month or so. Better than labor-intensive culturing, IMHO.

BTW, my LFS charges US$7.99/lb, which shows how nice it is to live near
the source.

Wright

--

Tax season to-do list:

1. Sharpen pencils.
2. Mark calendar.
3. Panic.

Then attend WCW XII, on April 26th and 27th and unwind:

         www.sfbaka.net/New_Folder/BAKA-WCW-12.html