Re: Pea blend

>Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 10:53:34 -0800 (PST)
>From: J Miller <ruddigar_99 at yahoo_com>
>Subject: Re: Pea blend for Daphnia
>
>Dan wrote:
>

>  I'm not sure if I missed the original post, or what, but I was just
>wondering if this recipe is in the archives (there is an archives for
>this list, right?).  If not, would you mind posting it, Dan.
>
>Thanks.
>J Miller

Yes it's in the Archives which you can access from the bottom of this page. Here's the recipe and the other things I feed to Daphnia:

11. Can I use commercially available algal pastes and concentrates?

Except for price they are ideal. I especially like the Tahitian blend from www.brineshrimpdirect.com Spirulina algae powder is not absorbed well, although if it's run through the blender with water and lecithin ( a natural wetting agent) it will be consumed better then. Most multivitamin pills contain enough lecithin to wet the Spirulena and add some vitamins too. Make small batches since it does not store well. The Marc Weiss products Spectra Vital and Blackpowder, work well as Daphnia food. Blackpowder increases the red color of the Daphnia. Krill meal is also a good Daphnia food.

12. What do you feed your Daphnia?
I like to use a variety of foods. I will use krill meal, blackpowder, and spectra vital for a feeding. Once in a while I'll use powdered or skim milk especially before feeding to herps since they need all the calcium they can get. However the staple diet of my artificially fed Daphnia is based on frozen  green peas or green beans. It produces superior growth and color even compared to green water once you have developed the technique to properly estimate the feeding amount. I put a small amount of
very red paprika, one calcium capsule, and two Theragran+ vitamin pills in a 2 horsepower blender with a pint of water. After liquifying these ingredients I then add half a bag of frozen peas or frozen green beans (8 oz.). I add about one cup of either raw beet root, carrot, raw sweet potato, raw broccoli, or about twice that much fresh leaf spinach or fresh beet top, add water to cover and liquify. Do not use fruits or vegetables that contain tannic acid, such as carrot tops or the green shoulders of a carrot.
You may have to add a few ice cubes near the end if the liquid is getting too warm. Add water to make one gallon. Store covered in the refrigerator. Adding a tablespoon of Instant Ocean salt mix will prolong the shelf life of the recipe. You can omit salt if you have a lot of Daphnia to feed. Use the cleanliness you would use for your own food in preparing, storing, and using this recipe. I feed this to twenty ten gallon tanks, a 230 gallon vat, and two 100 gallon horse troughs, so if you have less Daphnia going, reduce the recipe proportionately. I feel that Daphnia fed my concoction may be a bit more nutritious because of their diet than anything else you can feed them. I may be wrong, but I base that on the health and growth of my fish.
I raise Daphnia to feed to my own fish and our turtles.  Daphnia is so good for fish and it stimulates a lot of feeding interest by many turtles, and it does improve growth and survival rates of fish fry while holding down costs. Daphnia and newly hatched baby brine shrimp are better in combination than either alone, but with the current costs of cysts, you can go heavy on the daphnia. I put good things inside the daphnia before feeding them to my fish and herps.

13. How much do you feed?
Up to two to six times a day, about one cup of pea concoction, or a half teaspoon of krill meal, powdered milk, or Marc Weiss products mentioned per 100 gallons of culture. I will reduce that amount if a culture seems not to be perking along, but if one is going very strong, I will feed more frequently once the water clears rather than feed larger amounts all at once.