Re: Grindal worm bedding/culturing method question/observations

Hi Tomoko.

I don't have any experience with it, but one form of bedding media I've
always wanted to try is open-celled foam.  Most of the info I've found on
this method is sketchy.  Basically, you put a piece of foam in a dish of
water and cover it with a piece of glass or acrylic.  The water in the dish
keeps the sponge at the right moisture level and acts as a barrier against
mites that might crawl into the culture.  Food is placed on top of the
sponge under the glass.  The worms, of course, collect on the glass and can
be harvested.  The only maintenance involved besides feeding and harvesting
is keeping the water in the dish clean and filled.  I think Killifish
breeders in Germany or somewhere came up with this technique.  It's said to
be a very clean and easy method of culturing.  I've also heard of a
variation where several layers of foam and glass are stacked.  Worms can be
harvested from each layer.

That's all I can recall and I can't even remember where I picked up the
info.  Maybe someone on the list has experience with this technique and can
share some first hand observations.

Hope it helps and good luck!

Chuck Huffine
Knoxville, TN

>Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 12:40:42 -0600
>From: "Tomoko Schum" <tomokoschum at knology_net>
>Subject: Grindal worm bedding/culturing method question/observations
>

>I have tried a variety of bedding/culturing method for
>grindal worms so far but I have not yet found the right
>media/method that works consistently well over a long period
>of time for me.  One way or another my grindal worms seem to
>go through the period of up's and down's and I end up with
>either too much or too little.
<snip>