Re: Daphnia Observations

<<Hey Bill,

  What do you do for water changes, if at all?  How often, do you
change your water chemistry at all, etc.?

Thanks
J Miller>>

Hi, J,

I remove about 2 gallons every 10 days or so.  I siphon from the bottom,
removing the mulm.  Most of that is dead daphnia, those that escaped my
netting.  The food I use  - soy flour and yeast - is all consumed and doesn't
leave a residue.

I have a feeling that I could get more daphnia out of these two tubs if I fed
more, aerated, and had more lighting.  But intensive culturing also creates
more waste and other problems, and what I have is more than I need, so . . .
.

My water is hard and alkaline.  That tends to be very stable.  I've never
checked the chemistry in the cultures, but my tap water is 7.8 + and 230 ppm
KH.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.

Bill