When is yeast active ?

Are there any archives explaining how  a yeast culture
should be maintained and used?
My son wants me to set up a carbon dioxide reactor
such as used for planted tanks. As long as there are
bubbles being formed the yeast is active and the
solution could be used. This is better than setting up
an infusoria culture as I did by adding a head of
lettuce to a gallon of water and then poisoning my fry
with the stinking solution I created. I have improved
from those days but could still use some help.
                Thank you,  George