Re: Live Foods Digest V3 #143

Hello Dan,

It is true, that feeding Daphnia with yeast or other artificial foods
CAN lead to a crash. But developing a feel for the right amount of food
to feed is quite easy IF one approaches the feeding from the LOW food
side. Once the Daphnia get used to the food, there are few problems.

I feed a mixture of yeast and Algamac 2000 exclusively, enough to last
two days, i.e it takes 2 days for the culture to clear up. Water is
changed (75%) every two weeks. As said before, after the
getting-used-to-the-food period, no crashes have occured in my cultures
in years.

On the other hand, if I try to feed homogenized peas or carrots --
instant crash!

In my hands algae -- "green water" -- sometimes work, most often they do
not work! I have not tried to culture a specific alga, but the "green
soup" I sometimes manage to get, does not seem to feed the Daphnids.
They just swim in it, for weeks, without diminishing the color and
opacity of the water!

I don't know whether the difference lies in the different strains of
Daphnids, different water, algae, or what, but the literature is full of
various "magic" recipes that seem to work only in specific cases.

In any case, I think that people should not be discouraged from
experiments in feeding their Daphnids artificial diets!

Best,

George