Scud culture

    Does anyone have good luck with scuds?
    I got a culture from LFS Cultures last Dec.  They have survived, not
thrived.
    I keep them in a five gal. tank with duckweed.  I feed them a pinch of
flake food about four times a week.
    There are probably only twice as many scuds as I started with (Perhaps
twenty now).  At first I suspected I was losing larvae or eggs with water
changes.  When the weather turned nice, I brought the tank outside where it
gets more light, so the duckweed got more light, grew better, and filtered
the water more. I did no more water changes after this point. No improvement.
 I stopped taking duckweed out for the same reason. The instruction sheet
that came with the scuds suggested not harvesting them until the floor of the
tank was covered with them. At this rate, I will get to harvest in 2005, then
once every six months.
    Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.
    Pierre in Kensington, MD
    Where I still don't mind the daily rain storms this year