Re: V3 #18 Killing daphnia with "Amquel" question

I first noticed this problem as I would find daphnia, moina dead in tanks
that I had recently cleaned. Of course I added AmQuel as there are times of
the year that chlorine and cholramines are added to our tap water.  I
noticed daphnia kills up to a week or so after each cleaning.  Not too sure
if it persists longer.  I only put it together when I sent a shipment of
monia to Jim Eller, and figured add some buffer, some amquel (it works for
fishes) and they all died enroute.  Doing side by side (in same shipping
bags) I found that the amquel was the cause.   I suspect that most
daphniaand moina are fairly susceptable to certain water contaminants and
as I am not sure what are the active agents in amquel I can't say for
sure...
MTF

>Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 22:12:28 EST
>From: CEFCHURCH at aol_com
>Subject: Re: V3 #18 Killing daphnia with "Amquel" question
>
>In a message dated 1/29/00 3:09:31 AM US Central Standard Time
>
><< Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 16:55:35 -0800
> From: Wright Huntley <huntley1 at home_com>
> Subject: Killing Daphnia with "Amquel."
>
> There has been a thread on this subject, lately on the killietalk list, that
> deserves a mention here.
>
> Mach Fukada pointed out that "Amquel" seemed to kill his Daphnia. Since I
> had suffered some mysterious crashes, I tested it. Sure enough a glass of
> Daphnia, Ostracods and mosquito larvae left alone survived nicely, but one
> with a strong solution of "Amquel" (125:1 water to "Amquel") killed an
> identical glass overnight. The Ostracods survived, but everything else was
> dead the next day.  >>
>
>Do you think old aquarium water orginally treated with Amquel is safe to add
>to a daphnia aquarium?
>
>Chuck Church
>Indianapolis, Indiana USA

Mach T. Fukada
AKA member 07778
fukada at aloha_net

MACh Tech,
Macintosh Computer and Agriculture/Aquaculture Consulting

Visit our friends at the Honolulu Aquarium Society
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Meadows/2948/HASF.html

Also see what awesome deals can be found at the Fish Shack
http://www.thefishshack.com/