Eclipse 3 Upgrade

I also would be interested in hearing from anyone who has done this
retrofit.  I have two Eclipse 3's running 29G tanks.  I got more output by
adding a 33W GE "brightstick" grolight to each hood:   I just forced the
screws for the self-contained ballasts/bulbs throught the side of the
filter and biowheel areas, so that they sit next to the other lights but
without a proper reflector (and nothing shows on the top).  That gives me
about 70W for the setup  ( I don't know how that compares to the
powercompact)s, and my unheated goldfish tank stays at 70-75 degrees (until
summer warms everything in the place to the high 70s, and the tank goes to
about 80 degrees).  I worried that the power compact would add too much
heat for the goldfish.

Diane Brown
brown_d at kids_wustl.edu