More dead fish (was NO2 spike)

Okay, I posted earlier about an NO2 spike and a bunch of dead shrimp in my
29G.  Today when I got home from work, I had 4 dead SAEs and 1 dead neon in
my main 60G tank...  The only link between the tanks is that I added new
plants to each on Monday... Some Tonina spec., Rotala nanjenshan, Blyxa and
Phyllanthus fluitans....

In the 60G tank, the fish showed the same stress -- heavy breathing and
staying near the top. NO2 was ZERO in this tank, which is different than the
other tank...

The only thing I can think of is that the plants came wrapped in
newspaper... Anyone know if either Pittsburgh PA or Berkley CA use some
weird toxin in their newspapers?  Seriously, I cannot for the life of me
figure out what happened.  Did I have some weird toxin on my hands/arms when
I planted the plants?  I've never seen anything like this in all the years I
have kept aquariums.  Obviously I am very frustrated.

So, I ask the gurus on this list -- is it possible that some toxin(s) were
on the plants?  Will enough water changes remove what ever it is?  I did 2
more water changes on each of the tanks, and the fish perked right up...

Any advice appreciated!
-Tony