Re: Bee Shrimp

>Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 20:39:30 -0800
>From: Naomi Mizumoto <naomizu at pacbell_net>
>Subject: Re: Bee shrimp

>http://www.thekrib.com/Fish/Shrimp/
>
>Scott, if you scroll down to "4" you'll see a photograph of a wood shrimp.
>I've seen one at my LFS, and they're pretty big - multiple times the size
>of C. japonica. Bee shrimp are smaller than C. japonica, though I've never
>seen one with my own eyes. Maybe because of their size, they cannot do as
>much for algae control. Wouldn't know...

I don't think the Bee shrimps will eat algae.  Just like Wood Shrimps,
they are filter feeders.  I had many of them in my tanks a couple of
months ago but they have all disappeared.  I don't know what happened to
them really, never saw any dead bodies.  But algae-eating or not,
you would love to have them in your tanks, believe me.  The 2 red
bands on their shells make them so beautiful.  So are Tiger shrimps with
their many stripes.  They make the Yamatoes look pale in comparison.

I bought my last batch of Bee shrimps for only Sing 40 cents each.
That would be about US 25 cents.  They are rarely available in local
fish shops though and I got mine direct from a fish farm.  I would have
offered Bee shrimps in return for donations to the defense fund if they can
still be alive when they reach the US of A.  Too bad.

I had a good day yesterday.  4 persons wrote to say the christmas moss
has reached them.  The offer still stands.  Give some to the defense fund,
then write me for your moss.  I sent the plant to the 170th person last
week.  Never knew when I started this that I would send the moss to
so many people.  Are you one of them?  If you are not, please think about
making a contribution.

Loh K L

http://www.thedefensefund.com