Re: What distinguishes a plant from a weed ?

Scotty,
regarding your question, the simple answer is a plant out of place
but it depends where you are in the scheme of things.   Here in the
top of Australia, Hydrilla verticillata is an ordinary native local
plant and over in the USA it is said to be the worst water weed
possible.   I have been doing Australian Fisheries, Forrestry and
Aqgriculture Dept Weed Risk Assessments on Aquatic life to determine
if I can have it listed on my aquaculture licence.   The weed risk
assessment protocols for Australia are available on
http://www.affa.gov.au/docs/market_access/biosecurity/plant/wrmanu.html
The local NT Gov attitude to weeds is different to mine but we are
trying to get to agreements on each species.  The weed scientists are
very busy with other invasive weeds and it is much easier to say no
to everything.  However if I do the weed risk assessment they look
over it and approve or disapprove the plant.

If you read that website you will know what the official version of a
weed in Australia will be.   It is as exciting as watching paint dry.

Cheers
Dave