Re: Solenoid Valve for water drainage

Alan Kaufmann affirmed:

> No, I wasn't joking.  I have never had the back of my toilet
> overflow.  I
> don't mean the bowl, I mean the water tank.  I am sure that it must
> happen
> from time to time, like when a hole corrodes through the float.  But
> I don't
> think it is very common.

If the Inflow valve diaphragm becomes faulty, or it's actuator becomes
sticky, it can fail to shut off.  Thus, the infamous, "Oh that noise is
the toilet, it makes that noise constantly."  The reservoir doesn't
overflow because, forseeing the probablility of failure, the designers
put in an overflow tube.  The Overflow tube sends all excess water down
to the bowl, so the intake valve can run constantly and the reservoir
stays full but never too full.  The ball cocks are subject to failure
too, from a a leak in the ball or a brokken connection.  The flapper
(or float) outlet valve is the item that most often fails -- failing to
seat properly and allowing water to drain constantly into the bowl,
causing the intake valve to remain slightly open to replenish the ever
evauating water.  This situation too generates the infamous, "Oh that
noise is the toilet, it makes that noise constantly."

Sometimes, when the problem isn't too bad you can temporarily fix it by
obeying the famous command,
"Just jiggle the handle and it'll stop."  :-)

For all that, toilets are very reliable.

Stay dry,
Scott H.