Re: Azoo Plant Hormones ( long)

Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 14:55:55 -0800 (PST)
From: Cavan <millsman7 at yahoo_com>
Subject: Azoo plant hormones

I didn't get any response on this from the Superthrive
thread, so I'll give it its own.  Looking through the
Foster/Smith catalogue I noticed some Azoo plant
hormone products.

One is Plant Growth Accelerator.  "Accelerate the
rapid growth of water plants ... with plant auxins.
Unique formula increases the volume of cells, stems,
roots and leaves of water plants.  Stimulates the
growth of roots and leaf buds."

Another is Plant Growth Stimulator.  "Plant zeatin
stimulates the rapid split of cells, promotes the
growth of lateral buds and the expansion of water
plant leaves"

What are Auxins and Zeatins?  Snake oil?  Or is there
something to it?  It is cheap...  It would also be
nice to have larger leaves and such if it does in fact
work.  How might they compare to Superthrive?  Or is
Superthrive more for roots?

Where can you get Superthrive?

Thanks, Cavan

Hi Cavan,

                Here is what Azoo's Aquarium Bible No.2 has to say about
Auxins, Gibberllins and Zeatin  ( I have edited / snipped as otherwise it is
too long ):

Auxins:

Auxins are the first plant hormone to be discovered and possibly the best
known of all plant hormones. .....
The most popular and well known auxin is IAA indole-3-acetic acid. IAA and
other auxins are existed in all land plants and play the role of simulating
elongation. Some artificial auxins can play a similar or even higher
function of IAA, such as 2,4-D (2-4-dichloropheoxyacetic acid) and 2,4,5-T
( whatever that means). They play an important role in gardening and
agriculture when we want to stimulate plant growth, rooting and budding.
The exact mechanism of IAA biosynthesis is still uncertain, although in most
plants IAA is synthesised from tryptophan. Several pathways from tryptophan
to IAA are known. In general IAA biosynthesis within a plant is associated
with sites of rapid cell division, especially in shoots. Apical meristems of
shoots, young leaves and developing fruits are the primary sites of IAA
synthesis in higher plants. These IAA will transport to the other parts of
the plant via the phloem in order to regulate the plant cell growth and
differentiation.
In forests all plants look like in peaceful co-existence, but in fact there
are strong competition between all plants. They compete with light. Light is
the energy source of plants so each plant should make good use of every
chance and position to get more light. If they cannot do as good as their
neighbourhoods they must be dies. Phototropism can explain this. All apical
buds grow towards the light source because the light-related unequal
distribution of auxins in the bud, it means cells of the bud in one side
grow towards the light. that is why buds grow towards light. An apical bud
can produce effective auxin, which can be transported to all plant. Each
organ of the plant has different auxin requirement to stimulate developing
and growth. general observation is flower > stem > leave > root. .......
In addition to stimulate growth auxin can also play an important role in
many physical reaction. For example " apical dominance", an important
physical reaction between apical buds and the side buds are mainly caused bt
the concentration of auxin. When apical buds grow the high concentration
auxin they produce by them cannot only stimulates the growth of other organs
but also can stop the development of side buds. that means when an apical
bud grows no other side bulb can grow and share light.......
Another important physical function of auxin is against the function of
abscisic acid. Abscisic acid is also one kind of plant hormone, which works
in the shedding of plant leaves, flowers and fruits from the living plant.
IAA is known to delay the early stage of leaf abscission and to promote the
later stage (?). Auxin levels are high in young leaves, and are relatively
low in senescing leaves. During the later stage of leaf abscission,
application of IAA inhibits leaf drop.
Auxins have been used in commercial agriculture for over 40 years......
Advantages:
Leaves enlarge, stems elongate faster.
Stimulate the growth of apical buds and suppress side buds. helps stem
cuttings root. High auxin levels stimulate initiation of lateral roots and
adventitious roots.
Delay aging of leaves. ( Phew)

Gibberellins

Rice farmers in asia had long known of a disease that made rice plants grow
tall but eliminated seed production. Plant pathologists investigating the
disease found that the plants tallness was induced by a chemical secreted by
a fungus that infected the tall plants. This chemical can make a cabbage
grow as tall as an adult. It was isolated from the culture filtrates of the
fungus and called gibberellins after gibberella fujikurqi the name of the
fungus.

Advantages

Can stimulate the stem of aquarium plants by treating with both auxins and
gibberellins. Increases node distances for stem elongation.
Stimulates the elongation of root hair.
Decreases stem thickness, increases leaf size and gives a light green colour
to the leaves. Plants require some time torecover their natural green
colour.

Cytokinins

Cytokinins are the third plant hormone to eb found by scientists. In past 50
years, coconut milk is a necessary addition in plant tissue culture.
Scientists know of a growth factor in coconut milk but could not separate it
from coconut milk. Now we know the growth factor is cytokinins.
There are hundreds of cytokinins found in plants the most effective is
zeatin.
In many experiments in plant tissue culture we can find out both cytokinins
and auxins are concerned with the division of cells. But auxins are
concerned for the replication of DNA and cytokinins are responsible for the
procession of cell division. That is why when we treat with  auxins alone we
can only observe the DNA quantity growth but not the increase in number of
cells. If we add cytokinins after auxin treatment we can observe increase in
cell number. Cytokinins also stimulate the synthesis of proteins. They are
regarded as the main factor against leaf fading. If we increase cytokinins
we prevent production of abscisic acid, stimulate the synthesis of proteins
in leaves and also stimulate side bud growth.
As different from auxins, cytokinins treatment can stimulate side bud
growth... we can get many short stems that can prodice fruit ....

Advantages

Helps in sunthesis of proteins in leaves and absorption of nutrient salts
Number of side stems and leaves will increase after treatment
delay fading of leaves
Stimulate the production of chlorophyll.

Conclusion

....... their effect on aquarium plants culture is still unclear. this is a
new area for an aquarium plant lover to explore.

Unquote. ( I haven't cahnged the words except where it was too long  and
winding )

No mention is made of as to how they help when dosed to the water column.
I now leave it to the gurus to speculate how the additions of these hormones
to the water column helps the plants.

The cost in India for a 60ml bottle of any of the above three hormones is
USD 5.00
I am scared and only add 1/4 the stated dosage - only at aquarium setup and
never again.

I tried it out on another aquarium as a test ( not controlled, no records
maintained ) and observed chaos in plant and root growth when I added them.
I had posted on this in the Superthrive thread.

Madan Subramanian
Bangalore, India.