Re: Disinfecting Plants - Potassium Permanganate

Ok, I am sure this is a dumb question, but can I put this stuff at low
concentrations directly in the tank? I have been fighting the green dust
algae for a month now and I can't seem to beat it - massive water changes
every 3 days for three weeks (at least 50 gallons in the 72 gallon tank) and
a 4 day blackout and it will not quit. I was wondering if a low dose might
kill the green dust algae without damaging the fish? Or staining the rocks
and driftwood purple? I could do a big water change after to clean it out.

I love my tank, but the water changes take about 2 hours, and use alot of
water...I can't keep doing this every 3 days. It only takes two or 3 days
for the glass to get objectionably foggy.

I'm open to other suggestions as well.

specs: 72 gallon bowfront, 220W AH supply light, KH 4, pH 6.6(before lights
on)-7.0(before lights out); CO2 injection w/M3 Mixer J; 1/2t KNO3, a "pinch"
of KH2PO4, 10ml Flourish & Flourish iron added every water change and every
2-3 days; 1/2t K2SO4, 1T Flourish equilibrium, and 4t baking soda added at
water change. Tank is 8 months old.

Fish: 11 Cardinal tetras, 6 emerald-eye rasboras, 3 Pseudomugil furcata, 6
peacock gudgeons, 5 SAE, 4 Killifish, 3 german rams, 2 venerable blackskirt
tetras, 1 dwarf gourami. Possibly snails, I haven't seen them in a while.

Thanks for help. Sorry for the long post.

-Rachel