Clam-like Snails?

Okay, I have just noticed some very strange creatures in my planted tank
that I have never seen before.  I think they are snails, but I’m not sure.
They are very small and have a grayish-white shell.  However, the shell
looks nothing like any snail shell I have seen.  It looks like the bottom or
top half of a clam shell.  It is very thin and disk shaped.  These creatures
move very, very slowly, and I have only noticed them on my Vals.  Are these
some sort of snail?  If so, are they a good, bad or indifferent snail?  Will
they harm my plants or any other inhabitants of my tank?  TIA for any
advice/information!

-Gamera

multipart/alternative
  text/html