Eichornia Crassipes

I sent the following message on the 19th but it doesn't appear to have arrived, so I'll try again:
I keep Eichornia Crassipes (the Water Hyacinth) in my aquaria as a means to remove nitrates ( I keep Apistos and other Dwarf Cichlids). Recently, after 3-4 years of trying, I have had two produce beautiful mauve flowers. I don't know what I did other than put the whole system onto an automatic water changer, but why have they flowered now?
Any suggestions other than water changing?
C:-)lin

--

C:-)lin

They said "Smile, things could be worse." So I smiled, and sure enough...