Re: Iron and algae

Bob wrote:
"I had this very problem myself until I recently
started adding mono-basic
phosphate or KH2PO4 at . 5ppm up to . 8ppm. Then the
BBA disappeared, and I
mean vanished, whereupon my tanks started soaking up N
like crazy and allowed
me to add all the iron I wanted without additional
algae problems.

I too thought the plant were growing just fine -- but
its all relative. Now
they are doing even better with denser growth and
better color overall.

I say all this as I notice you list P as zero so that
may well be the
problem. That DIY CO2 is a real hit and miss thing
too, IMHO, and perhaps a
contributing factor.

PO4 is inexpensive but the test kit is not.

Bob O."

Bob,

You could try the PO4 test from Seachem, it is only
~$10.  I currently use it and it does a fine job at
detecting PO4 levels.

Lobos