Re: Re: Growing certain plants without CO2

>>In 1992, I set up a "non-CO2" tank that grew luxurious chain swords and
rotala macrandra, as well as a number of crypts. It had a substrate with
50/50 peat and coarse sand. The substrate directly or indirectly provided
CO2 because of the acid conditions and slowly decomposing organic matter.
You can say this is a variation on Diana's soil substrate which she writes
is a helpful provider of CO2.>>

Yes, I am familiar with this mode of thinking, and I can see it working for
Cryps and tenellus, but macrandra? That really surprises me. I have a real
tough time with this plant under ANY conditions, added CO2 or not.   I have
been able to grow a number of plants without adding CO2, but I tried to give
some as examples of those that seem to be a tough battle without added CO2.

If I remember the contex correctly of Tom's statements, it was in a flourite
tank, not a peat substrate. I have glosso in a flourite or profile substrate
under 2 to 3 watt/gallon and all it does it steadily lose body mass. The
stems and leaves shrink down.  These are also plants that probably come from
emersed growth, and the tanks were relatively new.  Flourite can not even
give off iron that is available to plants until the substrate has aged,
nevermind CO2.

>>I have been able to grow Hygrophila polysperma by itself just fine with
occasional oatmeal flakes added as a CO2 source.  But, when I had H.
polysperma in the same tank with a bunch of Ceratophyllum, the Hygrophila
completely stopped growing while the Ceratophyllum thrived.<<

I agree about hygro. There are a number of stem plants I have been able to
grow without added CO2: polysperma, difformis, Cabomba, Ambulia, Egeria,
Anacharis, Rotala indica, Myriophyllum all respond quickly to elevated light
levels even if CO2 is in short supply.  Growth may be slow compared to what
it is under maximum CO2 saturation, but the plants still take root and grow.
Even under low light polysperma doesn't seem to care. But  the plants I
mentioned earlier, Glosso and Rotala mac. have done nothing for me no matter
how bright or how dim the light is without added CO2.

>>If I were to try to grow Glossostigma, Rotala wallichii, and R. macandra
without the addition of CO2 gas, I would try to grow them alone, each by
themselves, and have fish present or have no fish, and add occasional
oatmeal flakes as a CO2 source.<<

Thats just not feesable for me. I have no interest in setting up single
plant specie tanks. I still set up tanks for asthetic reasons, and that
means a mix of plants. I will leave the experiments up to you! You also seem
to be intimadating the issue of alleopathy. That just seems like too much of
a wildcard unknown for me to worry about.  With all the other factors
involved how can you possibly determin alleopathy with any certainty?
Oatmeal?? OK, don't leave me hanging...elaborate on that!! :)  (the next
commercial breakthrough, oatmeal bags for your filter!)

Robert Paul Hudson
http://www.aquabotanic.com
AB weekly newsletter, subscribers: I stopped counting.