Calcium Carbonate a.k.a whiting

Rod:

I've tried using CaC03 to raise GH and KH.  It's not a very good idea.  The
stuff just doesn't dissolve very well in water and if you use a fine enough
powder, you're going to get milky white water that'll take a couple or more
days to disappear.  See my previous post on this topic at
http://www.actwin.com/fish/aquatic-plants/month.200105/msg00150.html.

If you still insist on trying CaCO3, my recollection of my earlier internet
research is that 1/2 tsp of CaC03 will raise the KH of 50 liters of water by
1 dH.

Putting aside CaCO3, it's cheap enough to raise KH.  Use baking soda.  It's
raising GH that's expensive.  I have yet to find an adequate substitute for
Seachem Equilibrium, which is what I use now.

G'luck!

Ming