Re: Onyx and PO4

Neil Frank wrote:
"I am concerned that the
Onyx may not be able to hold PO4 like other substrates. I mentioned the
problem with calcium rich substrates in winter 2000 PAM. With Onyx, it may
be more important long-term to have PO4 in the water."

Well, in my Onyx substrate tank, I have 3 actively growing Discus - and they
get fed and eat like pigs, so there is probably lots of PO4 in the water
column. Just about everything I have tried to grow in this particular tank
has done well, plants and fish included. I have a pair of Dwarf Rams which
spawn regularly (and provide caviar snacks for the Discus) living in it as
well.

James Purchase
Toronto