Re: hard water plants

Rotala wallichii has done better for me in softer
water than in harder water.  6 dGH seems to be
alright.
I still haven't figured out the stunting problem after
trimming though.  Very finicky.

I think that there may be a difference between success
with a plant in soft or hard water in the short term
and long term.  I've had plants that supposedly prefer
soft water do well in harder water fade after a while
with no other discernable cause.  The Baensch atlas
mentions that wallichii will grow in harder water for
a while before starting to have trouble.  Something I
don't understand is why those books mention plants
having more trouble in water with a higher carbonate
hardness.  GH is not mentioned.

Cavan