Re: Hans

> Sorry thats 35bbls/min with no strobes;), the pearling is also slight.

> The Lights are 2 110watt vho's and one 40 watt 20k. About 5 inches above
> the tank in the hood. The Co2 comes on and off with the lights.
> Diffusion is by injecting the Co2 into intake filter of Eheim Canister
> 2026. I worry about leaving the Co2 on all night because of the fish. Is
> there a safe starting point to do this without killing fish?

I know at least a dozen folks that run their CO2 24/7. I personally do not.
It's easy to do and save electricity. That cost more than CO2 gas. It also
allows me to add more CO2 _if I want_ and have a burn off period each
night(no build up).

 I'd like to
> do away with the aeration but i worry about the fish.

Well the old adage: Healthy plants will give you healthy fish(have not had a
disease or used medication for over a decade).

> No2-nitrite was
> correct at 0.3mg/li the lowest reading on the Tetra test kit, maybe too
> much decomposing plant matter.

No, something other than that.
Healthy plants would use this up before it converted into NO2 from NH4.

> Question, if i do inject Co2 24/7, and i
> assume the ph will go down (here the tap water ph is 7.8 to 7.6) when i
> do a water change the shift in ph may be to great and kill fish,

My tap is very high and I have no fish kills due to the pH.
There are other things such as GH and KH that also effect fish to a much
greater degree from what I've seen. I've never lost a fish(Discus/cardinals
to AF cichlids) due to a water change difference. Don't suspect I ever will.

 i have
> a fine collection of rainbows i have become quite fond of among others.

Then drop the pH to match up with the pH/KH/CO2 table. Try to get the CO2 in
the 20-30ppm range during the day. Shut it off at night. Rainbows do quite
well in planted tanks in the 6.6 to 7.0 pH range.

Many fish do fine at lowered pH's if you have the dissolve salts(GH/KH) in
there to match up with their native ranges. Also, these are tough fish
generally and many if not most are farmed, never seeing the wild.
Regards,
Tom Barr