RE:DIY TEST KITS

Thanks for the interest in this topic.

It may be difficult to measure the reagents in precise amounts, however,
some simple titration or colorimetric method may be possible for
nitrate/ammonia.
I went through a textbook of pollution control methods (some American
textbook) , but all the test methods were based on spectrophotometry, which
is a costly instrument.
I hope some chemist on this list will help in this matter.

So far I have been running my tank without test kits, as the available E
MERK test kits are very costly, less sensitive and have short expiry.

So far there is not even a trace of algae in my planted tank.
Does that mean that my nitrates are down and should I increase the doss of
PMDD?
I am using 8 PMDD drops/day(My tank is 25 gallon with some amazon swords,
valisneria, cabomba-not heavily planted, vermiculite-clay 3 inches substrate
with some fertiliser tablets, 8hrs light period, biweekly 25% water change,
15 mollies-fish population, sparse feeding-twice a day, no CO2).
Further during regular water changes, is a loading dose of PMDD needed?

Are there any ancient markers for example like tank smell, fish behaviour,
etc. so as to ascertain high nitrate/ammonia levels?

Dr Athale,
Baroda, India.