Re: problem with water

Ron Barter wrote:

> I dont think you have any problem. The difference in your two pH
> readings is a result of the CO2 in solution in your pressurized water main
> escaping from the standing water that is now under lower pressure. That's
> what all those bubbles are that appear on the walls of an aquarium filled
> with fresh tap water:

Ed. Dumas wrote:

This is very interesting, though I did not post the original message. I
have often wondered if there is excess CO2 in my tap water because of
the extra pressure causing more CO2 to be dissolved in water. I live on
the West Coast of Canada, and it seems that we have the same effect
here. Often after doing a partial water change, I would notice the
plants percolating a bit more, which is different from the normal
bubbling due to gassing of CO2. More CO2 suddenly available to plants?
Is this common everywhere, or just the Canadian brand of bubbly? :)

Ed Dumas

Paul K. writes:

The increased pearling (percolating) in plants after a partial water change
is maybe in small part due to increased CO2, but most of it is due to the
oversaturation of gasses in the water that just came out of the tap.  The
gases escape from the surface, they escape into bubbles that form on the
plants, and they escape into the air systems in the plant.  Just as a
bubble on a leaf well grow bigger as the oversaturated gasses diffuse into
it, so will the air volume inside a plant increase.  Result, an increase in
the bubbles coming from the plant that is not a result of increased
photosynthesis.

Paul Krombholz in cool central Mississippi, with yet another high pressure
from Canada, this one not as cold as the past two.