Compact fluorescent lamp life

I bought a pair of Panasonic 96w cf tubes from AHSupply in Dec.
1999.   This month one of them failed.   They have been running about 10-12
hours per day split over two light periods per day (afternoon
thunderstorm).  So that is about 8000 hours when the first tube failed.

But the surprising thing was that when I replaced the failed tube I would
estimate the replacement was 2 stops (4x) brighter than the remaining
original.   I thought someone had written that cfs didn't dim much, run
them till they die.   Well I can tell you that with 5 hour on periods, they
dim a lot in the first 8000 hours.

If you have older pc tubes, you should maybe get a replacement set and
replace one.  See if it makes a big difference in the brightness.   If it
does, you can keep the old faded one as a spare.

And many thanks to AHSupply for the great replacement service, 2 days from
order to receipt!   And the best prices!

--
Dave Gomberg, San Francisco       gomberg at wcf dot com
http://www.wcf.com/co2iron for low cost CO2 systems that work!

multipart/mixed
---