plant filterconversion /mangroves

Thanks Tom and Alan and everyone for their responses about the plant filter

Tom I'd like to clarify something: you mentioned mangroves won't have any
problems in fresh water tanks? Then I'll start looking for some,

when you mentioned they require intensive lighting how do we measure? i
guess u can't do watts per gallon so how about a single or double 2' fixture
hung approx 1' (more less) from the plants? I've never kept plants before
except for the plants in my aquarium so sorry if this question sounds silly;
I've grown grass in a cup before in elementary school = )
I'm assuming the mangroves don't need watering? but do i need to moisten
their leaves?

I'm planning on converting my aquaclear 300 into a plant filter supporting 1
(maybe 2 iff it fits) (side comment: i recent purchased one of those newer
tetratec power filters with a small version of the wet-dry built in, those
things are huge, but the wet dry part makes too much water 'girgling' noises
drives me nuts)

the aquaclear 300, I currently have on my 48 gallon discus tank but it's
bare not planted, don't know if this matters but the nitrate levels are 5ppm
in this tank and not tracable in my planted tank with a hagen test kit.
would the conversion to a plant filter have any significant effects on the
nitrate readings?

thanks in advance,

Raymond Wong
http://www.sfu.ca/~rww/Aquariumstart.htm