Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 08:47:02 -0700 (PDT)
From: David Luckie <davidluckie at yahoo_com>
Subject: Salt in planted tank

I was horrified [snip]

I have used salt in fish tanks on several occasions to
cure ich and other maladies.  I have also used salt
"prophylactically" in my pond during spring to control
outbreaks of goldfish/koi diseases.  By all 'expert'
accounts I have read, a 1 to 2 ppt concentration is
not particularly harmful to aquatic plants, but that
maintaining this concentration is almost certain death
for all but a few invertebrate parasites and
pathogenic bacteria.

Through trial and error, I've found that 2 ppt or
higher does damage many aquatic plants.  Hardy lilies
and other sturdy stem plants are not significantly
affected, but most submerged plants are.
Concentrations of 3 ppt will affect even those.  On
the lower end of the scale, a concentration of 1 ppt
does little to control the critters, but that 1.25 to
1.50 does the job.

I would like some listmember accounts regarding the
efficacy of using salt to control potential parasites,
and any accounts of the salt's effects on aquatic vegetation.