Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #1480

>Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1999 13:58:43 -0600
>From: "emilio" <emilio at interaccess_com>
>Subject: too much filtration?
>
>Greetings all,
>
>I've got a couple of questions I hope you don't mind reading:
>
>1) I've purchased a new fluval 303 and an eheim 2213 to use simultaneously
>on a 120gallon that hasn't been setup yet.  I'm wondering if there's
>anything wrong with adding those two new filters to an existing 40gallon
>tank that's been up for about 7 months (with adequate filtration)?  Is there
>such thing as too much filtration (for the 40gallon tank)?  I'm just trying
>to skip as much of the break-in period for my new tank.  And would this idea
>work?

It should be fine for break in. A question that I often ask with filtration
is:
Do I want to grow bacteria or plants? A nice balance can be achieved but how
much of one and the other do I want. Are there going to be many fish in
there?
I have a 40 gallon like yourself. It has 700ghp going on it. It is packed
with a bzillion weeds and about 11 big Clown loaches a few cory's etc. I
have to add KNO3 to this tank quite often.
The 700ghp are on all the time and the tank does great.
Good idea to prime the filters. Another trick is to vac the gravel some and
collect the mulm and add this to the filter intake and let it settle for a
few minutes in the filter then start running the filter.

>2) I'd like to get the Glossostigma to grow close to the ground.  I've read
>that this requires a lot of light.  Does anyone have any guidelines as to
>how much would be needed?  More than 3w/gallon?

Check archives. I have doing just fine at less than 3 watts/gallon. It will
grow fine at 2-5 watts and it isn't picky about the light type either. It
likes lots of CO2 and room to run. Don't crowd it. At the lower light levels
it does seem to grow flatter but It can be grown fine at higher levels too
but it can get labor intensive. A nice lawn can be grown at 1.5 watts a
gallon also. Shallow/deep water depth can be a factor also.
Regards,
Tom Barr