Re: Latin names (was APD V3 #1478

Hello Mark,

You are right that "gnatos" = "jaw" is of Greek origin. But the "g" is
not silent in the Greek language either. Furthermore, all binomial names
are pronounced as if they were Latin names. So ....

It is a mystery to me why many people insist on pronouncing Latin (or
latinized) names as anglicised, while the same person would not dream to
do that to, say, French words!

Best,

George