Re: Saying it correctly

Tom Brennan wrote "This is kind of a good link for people like us....t
he phonetically impaired
http://www.geocities.com/~tmfrench/Latin.html"

I scrolled just a few pixels there and red lights went off:

  "ornatus = or-NAY-tus
   macropodus = macro-POE-dus
   punctatus = punc-TAY-tus"

and later "Geophagus = Jeo-FAY-gus"

I can't see the point of learning Latin pronunciation with a broad
American accent, making diphthongs out of the pure vowels.
Having lived many years in Italy,  I can guarantee you that
Classical Latin -- and Italian for that matter -- were never
pronounced  like that.

ornatus = or-NAH-tus
macropodus = macro-PO-dus
punctatus = punc-TAH-tus

Granted, a speaker may very well color pronunciation with his
or her own accent, but that's no reason to corrupt or change
the model.

And why a silent "g" in "Gnathochromis = Nath-o-CHROME-iss"
It's silent in English, not Latin.

Jared