Can anyone help Alan?

From: "Alan  Kaufmann" <Alan4ever at worldnet_att.net>
Subject: Bewildered, Confused, & Concerned
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 14:28:17 -0800
Hello all,

Recently I started testing my water and adding KNO3 & Seachem Iron to my 60
gallon planted tank.
I have a Lamotte N-Nitrate kit and a Sera Iron kit.  My tank has a wet/dry,
a Magnum 350 with micron cartridge, and NO chemical filtration (carbon).
What concerns me is that I am now adding a tablespoon of KNO3 in the morning
and having no detectable amount left that same night AND I am adding 15-20
cc of Iron with no detectable amount left 8 hours later (this is three times
the amount recommended on the bottle for 10 days!).

WHERE IS IT GOING?!?

The plants are doing O.K., no great burst of growth.  I also add 25 ml of
Mastergrow every week, and the tank has 100% Flourite as a substrate.  There
are even some dupla plant tabs and some Jobe fern sticks added.  And plenty
of CO2.  I wonder if the tank is phosphate limited?  I will test.

Anyway, the amounts of additives seem extreme to me, and I would appreciate
feed back from anyone.

Thanks

Alan
Alan4ever at worldnet_att.net