substrate

I am setting up a 75 gallon tank hoping to get started a planted aquarium. I
bought some tropical isle laterite by Carib Sea.  It is red in color about 4
to 5 centimeters in width. My question is: can I use this product as is or do
I need to mix it with some other substrate like sand or gravel?  If so, how
much sand or gravel?  I plan to add 1 to 2" of gravel on top of the laterite.
 Does this sound reasonable?  Thanks for any of your thoughts on this. Frank