sources of nitrate--bloodmeal?

Looking back through archives, I noticed my question has been asked but not
been answered.

This is the wrong time of year to be looking for nitrate of soda, or sodium
nitrate, or plain old nitrogen. It's a fertilizer that stores bring in for
the spring growing season. The closest thing I could find was bloodmeal,
rated at something like 12-0-0. I'm sure there's more in there than nitrogen,
and I'd bet the plants would love it--but is it in any way detrimental to the
fish or other occupants? Anybody ever tried this?

Sylvia