Digital Camera

This is mildly off-topic, but I'm shopping for a digital camera.  The major
purpose is to take aquarium pictures, without having to go through rolls
upon rolls of film.  I borrowed one, about a year ago, which had a view
screen feature that I absolutely loved (I can't seem to find that feature on
a low-end camera).

If someone has strong opinions on a good/bad digital camera (I'd really like
to get away with less than $300), I'd love to hear about their experience,
either on-list or off-list.

Alysoun McLaughlin
Wheaton, MD