Re: FIUGF! Fertilized Inactive UGF plate??? a bit long :-(

If you search the APD archives and the krib you'll find similar ideas
floating around. Here is my experience:

I use a system very similar to the one you proposed. The difference is that
I don't use the PVC pipes, just the normal transparent vertical raiser tube
that came with the plate. The tube was slightly extended so its opening
protrudes above the water level. It's almost invisible. I add my PMDD drops
into this tube instead of directly into the water column. I also use an
airline tube connected with a drip irrigation valve to the filter return to
feed a very small water flow into the pipe. I did set up this system mostly
for the sake of experimentation and because I did happen to have the UGF plate
sitting around anyway. I had a "theoretical" point of view about the subject
much like yours, so why not experiment with the idea ? Unfortunately I cannot
tell what difference such a system makes in practice because I have only one
planted aquarium and nothing to compare with. The aquarium is doing pretty
well for the past 6 months or so (it was set up about 10 months ago), but I
think such manipulations of the substrate should prove their usefulness, or
lack thereof, only in the long run. Maybe 3 years from now I'll report back
on how things are going :-)

-Ivo Busko
 Baltimore, MD