KMNO4

>From: "Bailin Shaw" <bailin_shaw at hotmail_com>
>Subject: Re: KMnO4
>
> >Potassium permanganate is rather powerful stuff, there
> >are better alternatives depending on what you are attempting
> >to accomplish. PP is a very strong oxidizer, in fact it will
> >turn rust back to iron ;)..... I do have the dosage though if
> >your still interested, but I'd rather understand your needs first.
>David,
>
>My lfs often carries some interesting plants that aren't often found >in
>Oklahoma (not exactly the mecca for aquarium enthusiasts).  Many >of the
>plants I bring back from the store are from tanks that have >fish that are
>ill.  Since I can't find a wide variety elsewhere, I >need to sterilize the
>plants prior to introduction into a tank.  When >I was first starting out
>in the hobby about a year ago, I just rinsed >off the plants and in they
>went into the tank.  Unfortunately, after >such an incidence, a number of
>my prized rams started dying.  It was >depressing watching them slowly keel
>over one by one.  Now, I've >learned my lesson and want to do it correctly.
>  I'm reluctant to use >bleach because most of my plants melted the last
>time I tried this.  >Therefore, my other alternative would be the use of
>potassium >permanganate.  This is especially important since I started a
>planted >discus tank.  If you could pass along the info, I would be very
> >appreciative.
>
>Bailin

This sounds like a great time to use a seperate holding tank to me.  Instead
of blasting the plants with oxidizers, how about keeping them in a fishless
tank for a while?  Most fish diseases that I know of can't survive without a
host fish for very long and will soon be eliminated from the plants.  I have
never felt the need to do anything but pick the pond snails off of plants
before I plop them in my tank, but this is the way I would treat plants of
questionable "sterility".

Matthew Shaffer