Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #1435

In a message dated 12/7/99 3:52:27 AM Eastern Standard Time,

<< From: samm <wmaster26 at yahoo_com>
 Subject: pool filter sand = out of luck???

 In my failure to locate any 2-3mm gravel (not for the
 LFS price of $2.50/5lb) I have moved down (not to
 offend anyone using this setup) to my next choice
 which seems to be sand.  The sand that I have located
 so far (is silica sand) and is about 1-2mm (#16) but I
 would prefer larger which I have been led to believe
 can be achieved by pool filter sand???  I would like
 to get peoples experinces/views/recommendations
 regarding the pool filter sand.

 can it be found at the local hardware store (eg. Home
 Depot)?

I have used a type of pool filter sand called "Crushed Flint" I looks more
like a water worn very small gravel, brown in color. It is the perfect size
for growing plants unfortunately I only saw it once when I bought a one
hundred pound sack. I used it over and over for years from aquarium to
another until after repeated washings and loosing a little at each washing I
finally didn't quite have enough to cover a 15 gallon aquarium. I have looked
but I haven't found any since that time.

        Moon