Re: LaMotte Kits, phophate-limited question

Hi there,

>Date: Fri, 03 Dec 1999 09:43:05 -0500
>From: jaredmarkw at mindspring_com
>Subject: LaMotte Kits, phophate-limited question
>
>[cut]
>I am starting to add 0.5 M KNO3 to make the tank phosphate
>limited. My reading is about 1 ppm nitrate (converting from
>from nitrate-nitrogen). Here is my question. Is there an
>optimal nitrate value that I need to determine and maintain,
>or is any low reading, say 5-10 ppm OK?
Of course there is an optimal nitrate concentration. I believe that the NO3
uptake by plants is also regulated by its concentration in water column.
But plant's real need of nitrates is controlled by other factors, as light
and CO2. Last but not least, it depends on the concentration of the whole N
in the tank, inorganic and organic too. Most of plants (aquatic and
terrestrial) can use many form of nitrogen, and the most oxidized is not
always the preferred one :-)

Btw, La Motte kits for iron and phoshates are quite good, I'm using them
since a long period. Try Merck too ( http://www.merck.de/english/index.htm ).

Luca