Re: Algae Scrubber

> Date: Sun, 28 Nov 1999 21:45:21 -0800
> From: "Thomas Barr" <tcbiii at earthlink_net>
> Subject: Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #1418
>
> Date: Sun, 28 Nov 1999 05:34:10 EST
> >From: EFPav at aol_com
> >Subject: Algae Scrubber
> >
> >Hello all,
> >    I have toying with the idea of building an algae scrubber to
> replace my
> >UGF in my 55g aquarium.  All the literature I have found so far almost
> >unanimously suggests plants instead of algae because they easier
> to manage.
> >In that case, two planted tanks would certainly be better than one.
> >    Does anyone have experience in cycling water between tanks
> to supplement
> >filtration?  This seems like a logical approach if light cycles are
> >alternated between tanks.  Would it not stabilize daily pH
> fluctuations, and
> >effectively double (depending on the size aquarium) the amount
> of biological
> >filtration?
> >
> >Eric

Hello all,
    I would first like to thank everyone for their advice and insight on my
endeavor.  I  am honestly taking everything into consideration before I turn
my apartment into a plumbing nightmare.
    My goal in this was to eliminate the undergravel filter of my 55g, and an
algae scrubber seemed like a logical solution.  An algae scrubber would
indeed remove excess nutrients from the water column, albeit remotely, and
perhaps eliminate some of my algae problems by giving it someplace else to
thrive other than my display tank.  From all that I read, people experienced
in the matter seemed to think that a plant scrubber was equally as efficient
and easier to maintain.  It seemed only logical at that point to connect
planted aquariums and alternate light cycles, rather than add more
tanks/lights/plumbing...etc.
    As for fish load, I have little.  I have two tiger barbs, and three botia
modesta.  I started with only one b. modesta, but the other two came home
during my Walmart Mercy Mission.  I now purposely avoid the Walmart aquarium
section for obvious reasons.
    I will try and keep all that interested abreast of my progress as my
interest in this hobby (and my aquariums) evolve.

Eric Pavlak