backgrounds, substrates, hair algae DIY. help!

Hi all,
This may be a bit off topic but I am sure its relevant to many aquariasts
I am re building some of my aquariums (all eventually) and I would like to
have a nicer back ground then simple black fabric behind the glass.
Firstly for a 48x24x24 to be a low-tech discus/plant tank. I would like to
glue a thin layer of black/natural gravel with silicone to the rear and
sides of the tank and then allow java moss to grow over it. Has anyone
tried this? Would Java moss grow well on these walls 1.3 watts/g fluros and
82f pH 7

Secondly I want to build my first African cichlid tank (48x18x18) which
will include a rocky environment and some tough low light plants. Ideas!?!?
anubias, ferns etc. i suppose. Has anyone built a fiber glass background or
one of polystyrene and carved/shaped/painted it to appear as solid rocks.

Another problem is that of using fine sand for the discus/cichlid tanks.
Does the fine sand tend to go anaerobic due to the high nutrient levels and
fine substrate texture, what about with only a fine layer?

Is there a total cure for hair algae, what's the name of the fish that eats
it (flag tetra?) I am sick of trying to starve it of P and N and Fe etc. My
tank was doing much better when there was more of each nutrient (before I
got hair algae a few months back!) My SAE's do not touch the stuff!

Please could someone point me to relevant resources or give me their
personal opinions on the topics!

Thanks all
Daniel Green.
Enjoying his long awaited end of school summer holiday by the beach in
Perth, West Australia.
bevgreen at cygnus_uwa.edu.au