Algae Scrubber

Hello all,
    I have toying with the idea of building an algae scrubber to replace my
UGF in my 55g aquarium.  All the literature I have found so far almost
unanimously suggests plants instead of algae because they easier to manage.
In that case, two planted tanks would certainly be better than one.
    Does anyone have experience in cycling water between tanks to supplement
filtration?  This seems like a logical approach if light cycles are
alternated between tanks.  Would it not stabilize daily pH fluctuations, and
effectively double (depending on the size aquarium) the amount of biological
filtration?

Eric