Growing anubias on slate and other questions

Hello , first, I wanted to thank everyone for the input on plants and
lighting.  All of your advice was extremely helpful.  Now, on to the
good stuff.  Here's a quick review of my setup:
20g H Eclipse filtration system
2 15W fl. lights (Panasonic and Coralife)
ph normally at 7.0, 76d F., dKH = 2, dGH = 5-6, low nitrites, etc.

5 black ruby barbs, 4 swordtails, 1 pl*co, 2 dwarf gouramis,  all very
happy.

Now, I haven't mentioned plants because the ones I have now will be
taking a hike.  They require far too much light than I can give them.  I
will be getting vallisneria spiralis, anubias barteri "coffeefolia", and
6 varieties of crypts.  According the info I have seen, these should all
do well in low light.  Now, I currently have "house" built out of pieces
of slate.  My first question is:

1) Is there a way to affix a plant to the slate.  I have read about
plants being fixed to wood, and other rocks, but the smooth surface of
the slate seems like it could present a problem.  Any suggestions?  I've
been considering Anubias barteri var. caladiifolia or nana.

And, substrate,  did a little digging (no pun intended) and have come up
with a mixture something like this:
  layer of humus mixed with vermiculite, layer of Substrate Gold
(laterite), layer of gravel.
2) I'm still considering depths, proportions, etc.  Any feedback on
this, or on whether I should or shouldn't use these materials would be
greatly appreciated.

And, 3)  And if this is my substrate, what are the recommendations for
liquid fertilizers? (Currently I have Flourish Iron, however I'm
considering Tropica Master Grow).  Will I even need it?

4)  Last question:  Will the carbon in my filter negate the benefits of
all this fertilizer?  Can it be taken out?

P.S.  Considering the possibility of DIY CO2.  Comments, suggestions?

Thank you so much for all of your help.  Getting a tank started as a
whim, and now has developed into one of my first full-blown serious
hobbies.  I love it.

Heather :))))