Re: Activated charcoal (Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #1411

Hello Joo,

Activated charcoal adsorbs preferentially organic compounds. The more
double bonds and/or aromatic rings a compound has, the chances are that
it is better adsorbed. Because the yellowish color of aquarium water is
usually caused by (aromatic) humic acids, it is well adsorbed and the
water made colorless.

However, ALL surfaces adsorb also ionic species, even glass adsorbs some
ions. So, SOME of the trace elements will also be adsorbed. But the
adsorption is governed by equilibrium, which favors the solution, so
this adsorption will not be a continuous drain.

Furthermore, after a short time, bacteria settle the charcoal, and form
a very efficient biological filter. It builds down complex organics,
freeing some charcoal surface for more adsorption. A patent was issued
on that process.

A caution: ALL activated charcoals are NOT ALIKE! Even the same brand
can change over time, so the best advice is to try it over several weeks
and observe the results.

Best,

George